Slated to open in early April 2021, The Heritage at Ginger Cove is a brand new 67,100-square-foot building providing residents in need with assisted living and memory care services from a compassionate, skilled team.
But our expansion goes far beyond a mere building.
“The Heritage is an incredible addition to our community that deepens our commitment to those with healthcare needs, but as important is the new evidence-based, success-driven programming we have developed and refreshed as part of this growth,” says Joan Williams, Ginger Cove’s director of marketing. “Our programs are designed to ‘meet every resident where they are,’ no matter their condition, and develop their strengths, abilities, and overall wellness.”
This year will see the evolution of these wellness programs, as well as some added benefits for independent living residents, too.
The addition of 15 memory care rooms on the third floor of The Heritage allows residents to access the specialized care they need in all levels of living. This top-floor, highly secured community is Ginger Cove’s first dedicated space for residents living with Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, or related conditions.
As part of that commitment, Ginger Cove’s healthcare and engagement teams have implemented a specialized program, Legacy, a new evidence-based engagement program designed to help memory care residents develop current strengths, abilities, encourage cognitive function and social engagement, and stimulate memories. The result: joy and meaning in life.
“Even if you are living with dementia, Alzheimer’s or a related condition, you still have a memory. Everyone has memories. You may have a hard time finding your room or getting dressed, but we are going to use whatever memory you do have and make every day fantastic,” Williams says. “Our programming is very unique and personal. Not many communities go this far with their memory care.”
What sets the Ginger Cove community apart from typical memory care facilities is the fact that Legacy is evidence-based programming, with engagement activities designed to:
• Help a resident feel relaxed and calm
• Increase a resident’s sense of control
• Prevent or reduce depression and anxiety
• Reduce medication and the negative side effects of medication
• Lead to fewer incidents involving physical and verbal outbursts
• Increase a resident’s sense of humor and joy
• Increase a resident’s self-esteem and sense of identity
• Reduce loneliness and boredom
• Decrease falls and injuries; fewer emergency room visits
Beyond memory care, Ginger Cove continues to promote our community-wide wellness program, now called Wellness360, based on the 7 Dimensions of Wellness. While Wellness360’s capabilities will be fully realized once there is a return to “normalcy” post-pandemic, our programs continue in both a virtual and safely distanced manner and focus on:
• Physical Health: Being physically fit helps us get through our daily tasks without undue fatigue or physical stress
• Social Health: Positive relationships with family, friends and neighbors are scientifically proven to help improve our quality of life.
• Spiritual Health: Peace and harmony can be attained in multiple ways, from practicing your faith or enjoying the meditation garden.
• Intellectual Health: Opening our minds to new ideas and experiences can help with personal decisions, group interaction and community betterment.
• Emotional Health: Having the ability to know and understanding ourselves can help us cope with the challenges life can bring
• Occupational Health: Personal fulfillment can be gained from our chosen career or our volunteer positions, while striving for balance.
• Environmental Health: Accepting responsibility for the quality of air, water and land around us makes us good stewards of resources for our grandchildren and their children.
“We believe in wellness and activity programs that are evidence-based in science and research, and ones that are designed to help residents build confidence, creativity and resilience,” Williams says. “The fact that our programs are backed by science and multi-dimensional is what sets them apart from the offerings of other communities.”
The life-plan community has long offered independent, assisted living and skilled nursing services to residents on our 30-acre campus nestled along the wooded shores of Gingerville Creek, close to where it meets the South River.
In addition to memory care, The Heritage brings 20 new modern apartments and deluxe suites for Annapolis assisted living residents, along with a wide array of other new amenities that come with the expansion. Assisted living comprises The Heritage’s first two floors. In creating the building, designers applied evidence-based senior living community design principles and best practices to spur “moments of engagement” for residents and staff,” Williams notes. This includes a large activities room with a section for in-person events (when those resume) and the other end with comfortable seating and a fireplace. There is also large garden for year-round use, plus a private dining room.
Home to some of the most accomplished people in Annapolis, Ginger Cove has 234 spacious one- and two-bedroom independent living apartments for adults 60 years of age or older. All homes are maintenance free and include all utilities, plus a host of amenities.
And residents can choose from a number of luxurious upgrades to their homes — renovations made to create more open, modern spaces. Do it all or “renovate a la carte,” Williams says: Residents can knock down walls to open the kitchen to living areas, upgrade countertops to different types of granite and even Silestone quartz, add sleek tile backsplashes, upgrade to stainless steel Whirlpool appliances, and install cabinets with soft-close doors and drawers.
Apartments also come equipped with Amazon’s Alexa smart home devices for managing lights and temperature. “When we show new residents the model apartment and all the ways they can customize their new home, the response is phenomenal,” Williams says. “While residents have always been allowed to pick out their flooring or paint colors, we have really taken home customization to a whole new level in 2021.”
Looking for independent living on the water in Annapolis? If you are considering your next step and are looking for a maintenance-free community, consider Ginger Cove. Contact us to learn more.
In need of innovative memory care? Fill out the form below to download our memory care guidebook, A Heritage of Excellence: A guide for finding a premier community for memory care, to learn more about the importance of memory care programming and Ginger Cove’s approach to helping residents live fulfilling, healthy and happy lives.